Connect the printer to the Wi-Fi network
- Before you can wirelessly print, connect the printer to the same local wireless network your computer or mobile device is on. These steps also apply if you changed your internet service provider or installed a new router and need to reconnect the printer.
- NOTE: Wireless printing does not work over limited guest networks in places such as college dorms and hotels. Use a USB cable or connect with Wi-Fi Direct instead.
- If you received an Enter the WPS PIN for your printer message, click Cancel in the window, and then continue with these steps.
- Place the printer near the Wi-Fi router.
- Turn on the printer and make sure ink cartridges are installed and paper is loaded in the main tray.
- Connect the printer to the local network.
- Printers with a touchscreen control panel:
- On the printer, select Restore Network Settings (or similar) from the Wireless, Settings, or Restore Settings menu.
- Get the network name (SSID) and password. Go to Finding Your Wireless Password for more information.
- Select Wireless Setup Wizard from the Wireless, Settings, or Network Setup menu, and then select your network name and enter the password.
- NOTE: If the Wireless Setup Wizard is not listed, select Wi-Fi Protected Setup or WPS, select Push Button, and then follow the steps to connect to the network.
- Printers without a touchscreen control panel:
- On the printer, press and hold the Wireless button for five seconds or until the light starts blinking. For Tango printers, press the Wireless button and the Power button on the rear of the printer until the blue bar flashes.
- Within two minutes, press and hold the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) button on the router until the connection process begins. The light on the printer stops flashing when the connection completes.
- If your router does not have a WPS button, continue with these steps.
- Download and install the HP Smart app from 123.hp.com (Android, iOS), HP Smart - Microsoft Store (in English), or from HP Smart - Mac App Store (in English).
- Prepare the printer for a wireless network connection.
- For most HP printers: Press and hold the Wireless and Cancel buttons until the Wireless and Power lights blink.
- For HP ENVY 6000, Pro 6400, DeskJet Plus IA 6000, and 6400 All-in-One printers: Press and hold the Wireless Button on the back of the printer for five seconds until the Edge lighting flashes purple. It might take several attempts before the lighting flashes.
- For HP Tango printers: Press and hold the Wireless Button on the back of the printer for five seconds until the front light flashes blue.
- For HP Laser (not LaserJet) printers: Press and hold the Wireless button until the Attention light blinks. The printer might restart.
- Within two hours, follow the guided steps in the HP Smart app to add the printer and set up the wireless connection.